The University of Aizu is seeking outstanding and innovative persons in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) fields from academia and industry. The School of Computer Science and Engineering invites applications for faculty positions at all ranks. Faculty should be able to teach undergraduate and graduate courses and conduct research in the CSE area. Applicants should also have a strong interest in working with other faculty members and promoting University-Industry relations through cooperative research projects and other activities. Applicants with teaching experience preferred. Experience in practical research applications is also highly evaluated.
- Three-year tenure-track appointment followed by evaluation and tenure until mandatory retirement age of 65 if qualified.
- Duty hours: 7 h 45 min/day, 38 h 45 min/week. Discretionary Labor System for Professional Work.
- Salary and rank: Commensurate with qualifications and experience according to regulations of Fukushima prefecture.
- Holidays: Saturday, Sunday, National holidays, and Year-end and New Year holidays (Dec. 29 to Jan. 3)
- Insurance: Japan Mutual Aid Association of Public School Teachers
- In addition, both pension and severance payment systems are in place.
- A faculty housing is located about 2.5 km from the university.
- Normal employment starting date is April 1, 2018, but this is negotiable.
- Submission Package:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae (Use the specified template).
- Copies of your three best published papers
- Three current letters of recommendation/contact information for referees
Please submit letters of recommendation in one of the following ways.
*Applicant makes each letter of recommendation (with recommender's autograph or seal) into an electronic file, and send all the documents together.
*Each recommender sends an electronic file directly to the application mail address below.
- Copies of university diplomas
- URLs or other supporting materials, including a list of possible courses to teach with brief syllabi
- Research and education plans
- Category you would like to apply (for example, CS-2, CS-5)
- All documents should be submitted electronically to email@example.com
- Download Curriculum Vitae Template PDF MS WORD
- Submission deadline:
- August 31st, Thursday, 2017
- Application address:
- Prof. Kyoko Okudaira
Office for Planning and Management
University of Aizu
Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima 965-8580
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Qualifications for all fields:
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Computer Science and Engineering or a closely related area. Doctoral students who are close to graduation may apply, but the degree is required by the start of employment.
- Ability to lecture and provide research guidance at undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Full fluency in English or Japanese is required. In addition, a working knowledge of the 2nd other language as Japanese/English is desirable. Classes may be conducted either in English or in Japanese at undergraduate level. Language of instruction at graduate level is English in principle.
- Required expertise in research and education for different fields:
- Please select one or two categories (for example, CS-2, CS-5) from below that you would like to apply. We are searching a new faculty who has research and teaching experiences in the topics given below. Successful candidates are expected to contribute to all academic aspects of the university, including teaching, supervision of undergraduate and graduate students, serving on administrative and management committees, and conducting research.
- CS-1: Data science, big-data processing and analysis
- CS-2: Probabilistic modelling and inference
- CS-3: Ontology engineering and web-intelligence
- CS-4: Machine learning and knowledge acquisition
- CS-5: Mathematical programming, optimization, and metaheuristics
- CS-6: Automatic control and intelligent robotics
- Successful candidates are expected to teach basic courses related to mathematics and physics (e.g. linear algebra, calculus, discrete mathematics, topology, mechanics, electromagnetism, etc.) in both English and Japanese, in addition to courses related to the above expertise.
- Selection process:
- Primary selection: documentary evaluation
- Candidates will be informed by e-mail after the primary selection.
- Secondary selection: job interview and presentation